Sunday, October 11, 2009

Subterranean Subtext

Preamble: I know this Blog is ostensibly about Biking, but with the platform available to me, I occassionally riff on other matters as well.

Now that the Olympic bid is a fading memory, maybe Hizzoner Da' Mayor can now retune and refocus on issues which could have a much more important and resonant impact on the legacy he seeks to impart on the City of Chicago.

As I detailed some time ago in my other Blog -- "Back in the PRC" --, when Mayor Daley visited Beijing during the opening of the 2008 Olympics, one of his first orders of business was to ride Beijing's newly built-out Subway system; a bright and shiny example of what a mass transit rail system can aspire to be.

Beijing hasn't rested on its laurels either, as this preview of the newly opened "Line 4" shows. A follow-up report is also included here; as well as my own entries from the brief ride I myself took on Line 4 yesterday.


Beijing subway line 4 to open Friday CCTV-International


Subway line four begins service CCTV-International